5.5.06

I'm So Sick...



Flyleaf.

Wow.

I just listened to them extensively, and all I have to say is "wow." They now share the space in my heart reserved for Blindside. That's a pretty big complement too, seeing as how Blindside is my all-time favorite band.

So, this is what Flyleaf is... A band. Five members. They classify themselves as "rock" which is pretty general for what their sound is. They sound to me more like a mix between metal and hard rock. Some screaming added in there. Oh yeah, and their lead singer is a girl. Amazing. First of all, girls just can't rock.. Coming from me, a girl who digs rock music, that's a big statement and as much as I wish it wasn't true.. it is, well, for the most part. Flyleaf is a HUGE exception. She sounds alot like Avril Lavrigne when she sings but with a harder edge. Her name is Lacey Mosley, and you probably wouldn't guess that the band that she sings for is christian. I mean, MTV has their video "I'm So Sick" playing on their rock count downs. That's only been achieved by a few other christian bands (Relient K, The Afters, Blindside, P.O.D.-except they don't want to be labeled "christian" anymore-). I didn't even know they were christian until a friend told me.. and even then I didn't believe it. So today I decided to check it out for sure. The first place I checked was their Myspace account. It didn't really say anything about it, so I checked the christian rock lyrics website.. BINGO! WE HAVE A WINNER!

Come to find out, they explicitely mention Jesus and God in alot of their songs.. I think the reaction would be funny if someone saw them on MTV thinking they were this sweet metal band and then hear "Remember you, Remember me, Jesus there in between, Jesus" come through their stereo after they bought the cd. I'd pay money to see that one. WOO YEAH!

As dark as they may look or even sound sometimes, their songs are beautiful. A perfect example would be the song "All Around Me" (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=45090343). The lyrics are all about worshiping God with the angels. I personally enjoy seeing how this band (Flyleaf) and Blindside can sound so mean or dark even but then have lyrics that describe worship in such a way that they would have to experience it first hand to be able to write about it. I've heard alot of mainstream contemporary christian music and it sucks compared. Lyrically wise, there's no depth. It's the pop music of christians. Can you say "Brittany Spears"? CAUSE I CAN! Seriously, when are contemporary artists going to start writing something with meaning? I still wouldn't listen to it because I can't stand that style, but I sure wouldn't rag on it as much.

Back to Flyleaf. The more I listen and read their lyrics (while I'm writing this), the more I love their music. It just keeps getting better and better. The lyrics - uplifting. The music - talented yet out of the norm. The band - edgy. Sounds like my kind of band.

Their official website is www.flyleafmusic.com and you can find all of their lyrics at www.christianrocklyrics.com/flyleaf.php .

Here's the video of "I'm So Sick"...





I so want to do something like that.. how cool would that be? This chick makes me happy like the prophetik t-shirts... That's another big compliment...

Oh.. I just found this.. This is a quick interview with Flyleaf. They explain all about their music and faith in this. It made me love them more...



No comments: