6.11.06

Darn Gobshites...

Global Social Problems.

Does that sound like fun? Seriously.... Yeah, I didn't think it sounded like fun when I first signed up for this class. Actually, I didn't think it sounded like fun for the first 5 weeks of the class. this all changed when I started to actually pay attention and listen to what was being said. I, personally, was shocked.

Most of what is said in my class comes from the students. The majority of those outspoken students are probably in their mid-thirties and older and they have to be some of the dumbest people I have ever heard in my life.

I do not mean to criticize, but rather to include you in my humorous situation.

This is what I am privy to... A class of outspoken idiots. My favorite so far has been the discussion we had on disabled people and how they are mistreated by the government and society. Actually, all of our discussions are about how a certain people group are mistreated by the government and society, it's awsome. But this one particular day we were talking about the disabled.

The class was pretty normal for the first half, you know, the usual problems were told, and then we got to disabled people having children. I thought that it would be one of the regular topics where one person gets all fired up over nothing and then the class goes on. Well, I was halfway right. When the teacher mentioned something about the government taking children away from mentally disabled parents, those over thirty outspoken gobshites in the front of the room were in an uproar.. why? I don't know. I heard brief mention of the feelings of the disabled people and their want for children, but never once did I hear the other view argued. No one once mentioned that the parents of the children who were taken away or the people that are not allowed to have children because of their physical condition usually can't even take care of themselves. Not one person said anything about it.

This is usually how it goes in that class. I think there's a sign on the door that I missed that says "Leave all common sense at the door.." No matter the dicussion, those same people get mad over the lamest things without even thinking of when they're really saying.

What I usually end up doing is sitting quietly in the back of the room half chuckling to myself at the heinous things being said. I've found that If I'm quiet for most of the quarter, then when I do say something, people will be shocked because they never knew something so loud could come out of my mouth and then they will actually listen to it. I've done this a few times before and usually the entire room goes dead silent. I seem to have that effect on most of my classes. No one expects quiet little Emily in the back of the room to come out and blatently the entire class that nothing that is being said has any sense whatsoever. I only do it every so often when the time really calls for it. I find it to be entertaining. It's like watching those court shows on TV. Everyone is arguing over something stupid and then the judge all of the sudden tells them the reality that they are being stupid and saying stupid things and everything gets silent for about 30 seconds. After those 30 seconds they start in on the next item up for bid and the circle continues.

I just don't understand how someone can take an issue that is so black and white and in your face and turn it into a whole big ordeal to the point that all forms of reasoning has left them. It's another one of those mysteries of life I guess.

God bless America, a place where people can voice their stupid opinions and help Emily stay awake in class one more day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your articles, the world accrording to Emily is an entertaining place, thanks.

Z

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a bunch of democrats in your class. You hang in there and spred the common sense. I love the way your mind thinks. Love ya, N