28.4.06

The Annoying Hardcore - Bradley Hathaway

So Bradley Hathaway is a young guy who writes poetry and then performs them in between hardcore bands or does random "house tours" where he just goes into people's homes, sets up like 30 chairs and performs his poetry.. But he's not just any ol' poet. His stuff at first comes off somewhat humorous but then, at the very end, it slaps you in the face with something amazing. The first poem I heard of his is called manly man. Actually.. I watched a video of him reciting it. you can watch it at http://www.relevantbooks.com/splashes/bradley/commercial.htm .... You must watch it all the way through though, or else it has no impact. But the one that I am going to talk about is called "The Annoying Hardcore". It gives a flawless portrayal of hardcore kids.. so if you don't know what they are just keep on reading and by the end you'll know them inside and out, literally. Cause that's what Bradley Hathaway's poems are all about. They go from the surface to the root.. or from the outside in. The reason I found this poem so interesting is because one of my friends used to be hardcore and this described him perfectly. So here you go... The annoying hardcore...

I AM HARDCORE! I WILL WINDMILL KICK YOU IN THE FACE! EVERYBODY BACK UP make a circle, lets destroy this place.

the lights are low and i'm about to go OFF. here comes the break down.. KARATE CHOP!

raise up your arms, make an X if you're down. me and my crew, we own this stinkin town. watch out for my fist, your face it will kiss on purpose. i'm tough and i'm ticked.

i don't slow dance, i don't salsa dance. forget the tango i don't slam dance you idiot.

I AM HARDCORE. on the floor i'm the man you've never seen before. when the drummer yells GO, its my time to blow.

and in between songs i yell at all of the bands cause i don't care what they have to say. i'm not here to learn anything anyway. i'm here to dance in the zone in a trance.

i don't smoke cigarettes... but if she's willing i'll drop my pants. promiscuous i am but i'm vegan, i don't eat meat or any of that stuff because its bad for you right?

i want to save the animals i don't care about the sweat shop scandals i DO NOT shop at Hot Topic. I am not "mall core", i am HARDCORE.

Madball, Hatebreed, throw down in terror. i own them all on colored vinal, limited edition, and hand numbered. but you won't see me asking for no autographs cause i aint looking like to fool, i aint no pop culture tool. if they aint screamin, i aint listenin. if they aint got a blast beat i aint tappin my feet.

i eat EMO PANSIES for BREAKFAST. and i give their little tee-shirts to my little sister so cry about you little messanger bag, purse carrying whatever.

i wear girl pants but i'm homophobic but the way i'm always huggin on my homeboys you sure wouldn't know it. i've had my ears stretched an inch since back in '96.

somebody told me that hardcore was a place to share what you believed. but i didn't like what dude said so i flipped him off and told him to leave. i'm mad at society cause my parents won't buy me a new computor, eventhough i asked politely.

my playsation 2 is broken BUT my X BOX works. when that breaks though something is gunna HIT THE FAN and i'll express myself with RAGE AND ANGER just like a MAN cause thats how its done right? you get mad and start a fight right?

i think i may, i think i might take my INSECURITIES out on that punk in the put tonight...

cause really i am just insecure and more than that i'm kinda scared and i'm hurting inside. and i don't know how to deal with it. i don't know what being a man means.

i thought acting TOUGH was the way to go but..now that i think about it, i'm, i'm EMO..

-more bradley hathaway to come..-

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love that you do this... you take me places I wouldn't go on my own - teach me things I might not learn otherwise... I love you Emily C!